The Strangest Relationship Advice Ever Given: Old Wives’ Tales and Outdated Tips That Make Us Laugh
Relationship advice is abundant in our modern world, with countless articles, books, and videos readily available to help us navigate the complex world of love and partnerships. While much of this advice is practical and helpful, there exists a treasure trove of strange, outdated, and downright hilarious guidance that has been passed down through generations. In this article, we’ll explore some of the weirdest relationship advice ever given, delve into the historical and cultural context of these old wives’ tales, and share a laugh as we appreciate just how far we’ve come in understanding love and relationships.
The Origins of Strange Relationship Advice
Before the age of the internet, advice was primarily passed down through generations by word of mouth or written in books and magazines. Some of this advice originated from cultural or religious beliefs, while other tidbits were simply the result of superstition or misunderstanding. As societies evolved and our understanding of human behavior, psychology, and biology grew, much of this advice became outdated, and in some cases, even harmful. Nonetheless, examining these strange pieces of advice can offer insight into the historical context and provide a humorous look at how our ancestors approached love and relationships.
The Strangest Relationship Advice Ever Given
- Never go to bed angry. This age-old advice suggests that couples should always resolve their disagreements before going to sleep. While the sentiment behind this advice is well-meaning, insisting on resolving every disagreement before bedtime can lead to sleep-deprived, cranky partners who are less likely to find a resolution. Sometimes, a good night’s sleep is exactly what’s needed to cool down and approach the issue with a fresh perspective.
- To catch a man, wear a hat made from lettuce. This bizarre piece of advice originated in ancient Rome, where women believed that wearing a hat made from lettuce would make them more attractive to potential suitors. While we can’t speak to the effectiveness of lettuce hats, modern fashion and dating advice tend to focus more on confidence, personal style, and authentic connection. Plus, nobody wants salad dressing on their head during a date!
- Men should always order for their dates. In the early 20th century, it was common for men to order food and drinks for their female companions during dates, as it was seen as chivalrous and assertive. Today, this practice would likely be seen as patronizing and controlling. It’s essential for both partners to have a say in their preferences and decisions, and modern couples tend to value open communication and mutual respect over outdated gender roles.
- To keep a man interested, a woman should play hard to get. This advice suggests that women should appear uninterested or aloof in order to pique a man’s interest and keep him chasing her. Playing games and manipulating emotions rarely leads to healthy, long-lasting relationships. Today, we recognize the importance of being honest and straightforward about our feelings and intentions in romantic pursuits.
- If you want to know what your future spouse will look like, sleep with a mirror under your pillow. This old wives’ tale claims that if you sleep with a mirror under your pillow, you’ll dream of your future spouse’s appearance. While it’s an entertaining thought, there’s no scientific evidence to support the idea that a mirror under your pillow can predict the future. Nowadays, we know that relationships are built on more than just physical appearance, and focusing on qualities such as compatibility, trust, and communication is far more valuable than trying to catch a glimpse of a future partner in our dreams.
- A wife should always greet her husband with a smile and a hot meal when he comes home from work. This advice comes from a time when traditional gender roles were more strictly enforced, and women were expected to be homemakers and caregivers. Today, we recognize that relationships should be built on partnership and equality. Both partners should share household and caregiving responsibilities, and it’s unrealistic to expect one person to always have a smile and a hot meal ready at the end of the day. Besides, everyone loves takeout now and then, right?
- Never let your partner see you without makeup. This advice comes from a time when women were expected to maintain a certain level of physical attractiveness at all times to please their partners. Modern relationships emphasize the importance of authenticity, vulnerability, and acceptance. We now understand that true beauty comes from within and that it’s essential to love and accept our partners for who they are, makeup or not.
- A successful marriage requires the wife to be submissive. Historically, women were expected to submit to their husbands and prioritize their desires and needs above their own. We now recognize that relationships thrive when both partners are equal and feel respected and valued. Submission has no place in modern partnerships, as healthy relationships are built on compromise, communication, and mutual understanding.
- Keep a piece of wedding cake under your pillow to dream of your future spouse. This old wives’ tale claims that sleeping with a piece of wedding cake under your pillow will cause you to dream of your future partner. While it’s a fun and quirky tradition, we don’t recommend sleeping with cake under your pillow (unless you enjoy waking up with frosting in your hair). Instead, focus on building connections and getting to know potential partners in real life.
- Couples should never air their dirty laundry in public. This old-fashioned advice suggests that couples should never discuss their relationship problems with others or air their grievances in public. While it’s important to respect your partner’s privacy and not overshare intimate details, seeking support and advice from trusted friends and family can be crucial for maintaining a healthy relationship. Modern couples recognize the value of open communication and the importance of having a support network outside of their partnership.
The Role of Humor and Skepticism in Evaluating Relationship Advice
As we’ve explored these strange and outdated pieces of relationship advice, it’s important to maintain a sense of humor and a critical eye. While some of these old wives’ tales and tips may be amusing or even endearing, it’s essential to evaluate all advice through the lens of our modern understanding of relationships. What may have been considered sage advice in the past may not align with today’s values and understanding of healthy partnerships.
When encountering relationship advice, whether it’s a quirky old wives’ tale or a modern self-help book, it’s essential to think critically about the information being presented. Ask yourself whether the advice aligns with your personal values, and consider how it might impact your relationship in the long run. Remember that every relationship is unique, and what works for one couple may not be suitable for another.
Our journey through some of the strangest relationship advice ever given has been a fascinating and humorous look at the evolution of societal views on love and partnerships. From lettuce hats to submissive wives, we can appreciate the progress we’ve made in understanding the foundations of healthy, equitable relationships.
As we continue to seek guidance in our own relationships, it’s important to approach advice with a sense of humor, skepticism, and self-awareness. Embracing the laughter and absurdity of some of these outdated tips can remind us of the importance of authenticity, communication, and understanding in our modern partnerships.
So, the next time you come across a bizarre piece of relationship advice, whether it’s an old wives’ tale or a questionable article online, remember to take it with a grain of salt, share a laugh, and appreciate the progress we’ve made in our quest for love and connection.